The Primary 1 course prepares students on subject based learning where they will learn subjects such as languages, mathematics,science, art, music and social studies.
The course consists of 10 modules - English, Mathematics, Science, Chinese, Filipino, Music, Arts and Crafts, Social Studies, Physical Education and Values Education.
Module 1: English
The Primary English 1 module is focused on- Reading, Listening, Speaking, Grammar and Vocabulary.
Listening, reading and viewing- Identifying the main ideas and details of the texts. Learners will also be taught how to make simple generalisation, predictions and inferences and how to respond to different texts e.g; sharing their own opinion or retelling stories.
Speaking– Learning to speak with accurate pronunciation and intonation, building confidence to read aloud and present ideas clearly. Learners will be able to demonstrate his understanding of spoken grammar by sharing ideas and point of views with his classmates.
Grammar– Learners will be taught the language in use through verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. this will lead him to apply his knowledge of grammar to complete written and oral activities.
Vocabulary– Learners will be guided in developing a greater range of vocabulary as well as skills for deducing the meaning of unknown words. The words and phrases they have learnt will be able to support their development of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Develop reading skills by reading fables and short passages.
- Acquire the knowledge of grammar for the usage of the language.
- Able to develop vocabulary which helps in listening, reading, speaking, and writing.
Module 2: Mathematics
It is based on mathematical problem solving. It involves concepts, skills, process, metacognition and attitudes.
Primary 1 mathematics involves Whole Number, Money, Measurement Geometry and Statistics.
- Acquire understanding of numbers and number bonds.
- Develop ability to perform the four basic operations- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division.
- Develop understanding on positions and shapes.
- Acquire knowledge on measuring lengths, counting money and time telling.
- Understand the concept of Multiplication and Division and also picture graphs.
Module 3: Science
It will facilitate the teaching of Science through an adaption of instructional model- Engagement, Exploration, Explanation, Elaboration, and Evaluation.
- Acquire knowledge on parts of the body, five senses and caring for one’s body
- Understand human and animals, plants and things around us.
- Develop knowledge on things around us, day and night, and weather.
- Acquire knowledge on light, heat, sound, motion and electricity.
Module 4: Chinese
This is an entry-level Chinese course designed for Primary school 1st grade students whose first language is English. English will be used as the medium to conduct lessons and facilitate learning. This course aims to develop the basic speaking and listening skills which fulfill students’ the very basic needs of daily life communication.
By the completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the basic conversation in daily life and respond to it properly.
- Conduct the basic conversation on daily life such as greeting, introducing name, friend and family as well as asking date/time, etc.
- Pronounce the basic vowels: a o e i u ü with tone marks accurately.
- Keep the interest in further Chinese language study.
Module 5: Filipino
Knowledge acquisition of the language and develop further the language necessary for reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Show understanding on what has been listened to after critically and carefully paying attention to the materials used in Filipino
- Listen and answer appropriately the relevant questions being asked to
- Follow verbal instructions with at least 1 – 2 steps/procedures
- Express one’s idea about the materials listened to
- Verbally communicate one’s idea, thoughts, feelings and reactions with correct tone, stress, speed, and intonation
- State to others like peers and teachers, the Filipino informative texts they listened to like safety precautions, environmental signages etc.
- Practise conversion in Filipino using respectful words expressed in polite manner
- Produce the sound of each letter from the Filipino alphabet
- Understand the Filipino words being read to learn new vocabulary words
- Group similar and related Filipino words together according to their similarities and meaning
- Develop the skills in writing correctly and neatly words included in lessons while observing the correct letter forms
- Write the capital or small letters needed in writing Filipino words and sentence
- Spell Filipino words with 3-4 syllables learnt from the lessons taught
Module 6: Music
Covers the fundamental elements of Music such a pitch, timbre, volume, notes or musical notation; the use of each note as pitch in a master staff, application of rhythm or time, note intervals, key signature, music scales and chords.
- Introduce the basic and fundamental concepts of Music
- Identify the Major and Minor keys
- Be aware of different moods in music corresponding to its tempo and rhythm
- Understand and appreciate orchestra music
- Determine the patterns in sound produce and create unique one
- Be knowledgeable with melody, chords and accompaniment and perform confidently following the melody being taught with or without accompaniment
- Learn about staccato, legato, key and time signatures
- Participate actively in musical activities in and outside classroom settings
- Establish appreciation of one’s musical abilities and of others.
Module 7: Arts and Crafts
Entails to artistic expressions of one’s feelings and thoughts relevant to local and international celebrations valued by the school and community such as Chinese New Year, National Day, Christmas, Deepavali, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc. Likewise, creative means to communicate love and appreciation to significant others such as family members, friends and teachers, etc and to Mother Earth by promoting the use of recyclable materials aside from the usual and different art media commonly known and available:
- Distinguish and create different sizes of characters in drawings
- Understand the effect of illusion and position on Artworks
- Appreciate harmony of colours, designs and shapes
- Expose to other forms of Art like sketching, printmaking, puppeting, mask making, hair dress, etc.
- Familiarise and use other available materials such as natural objects, ornaments and recycled materials in producing Artworks
Module 8: Social Studies
Gives importance to Self-Identity and Respect of individual differences; Value and Functions of School and Staff, Recognition of Family Members and their Roles; Knowing the Community, the People around and the Community Helpers, Appreciating Singapore as Country of Living and Understanding basic information and known culture of different neighbouring countries such as the Philippines and India as Countries of Origin of majority of the students and staff.
- Acquire knowledge about family, community, and of relevant countries like Singapore, Philippines and India
- List and name family members. the vital role of each and enumerate their responsibilities towards the family
- Illustrate the school, explain its importance and interview the teachers and staff to further know and relate with each other
- Emphasise the important community members, the provided activities and analyse the community helpers through their function to the society
- Describe and compare countries such as Singapore, the Philippines and India based on its remarkable symbols and famous places and activities
- Recognise and value both the countries of their origin and country of living as foreigners.
Module 9: Physical Education
Focuses on the body and physical skills. It emphasises education in movement or the psychomotor domain. Enable students to demonstrate individually and with others the practices and values to enjoy a lifetime of active, healthy living.
- Achieve awareness of the movements that different body parts can produce
- Balance body parts during movement
- Engage in fun and enjoyable physical activities while cooperating at the same time
- Understand and execute locomotor skills
- Determine differences between slow and fast and performs movement according to suggested speed
- Distinguish characteristics of heavy and light while moving and performs accurately whichever is suggested
- Identifies characteristics of a good team player and corresponding social skills to help others become productive members of the group
Module 10: Values Education
Composed of social and experiential activities leading the students to reflect on proper care, on their love, respect and contribution to the development of self and others which include their classmates, friends, family members, neighbours, community and the world at large.
- Become more aware of one’s feelings, talents and abilities
- Understand the differences of self from the others
- Cooperate better with peers in school and with his family members at home
- Strengthen the values of responsibility, respect, listening and appreciation to people around and the world he or she lives in
Classroom learning, lessons to be conducted at Edvantage Institute (Singapore).
All our teachers are registered with the Committee for Private Education (CPE).
Kindergarten 2 or equivalent.
Assessment and Examination
- Behaviour 15%
- Attendance 15%
- Seatworks/Quizzes 30%
- Graded Recitation 5%
- Graded Term Test 35%
The performance grading will be as follows:
|Outstanding||90 - 100|
|Very Satisfactory||75 - 89|
|Satisfactory||50 - 74|
|Failed||0 - 49|
Course Schedule and Fees
Details of course schedules and school fees can be found here.