The Primary 5 course prepares students on subject based learning where they will learn subjects such as languages, mathematics,science, art, music and social studies.
The course consists of 10 modules - English, Mathematics, Science, Chinese, Filipino, Music, Arts and Crafts, Social Studies, Physical Education and Values Education.
Module 1: English
The Primary English module is focused on six key areas- Reading, Listening, Speaking, Grammar and Vocabulary, Writing and Representing.
Listening, Reading and Viewing - Identifying the main ideas and details of the texts. Learners will also be taught how to make simple generalisation, predictions and inferences and how to respond to different texts e.g.; sharing their own opinion or retelling stories.
Speaking- Learning to speak with accurate pronunciation and intonation, building confidence to read aloud and present ideas clearly. Learners will be able to demonstrate his understanding of spoken grammar by sharing ideas and point of views with his classmates.
Grammar - Learners will be taught the language in use through verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. this will lead him to apply his knowledge of grammar to complete written and oral activities.
Vocabulary - Learners will be guided in developing a greater range of vocabulary as well as skills for deducing the meaning of unknown words.
The words and phrases they have learnt will be able to support their development of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Writing and Composition - Learners will be guided in planning and organising ideas to write drafts;editing one’s work; rewriting and revising texts to produce a variety of texts,narratives,letters etc.
- Develop reading skills and strategies in prose, poetry and dramas.
- Acquire knowledge on grammar usage in prose and poetry.
- Able to acquire knowledge on rich vocabulary usage for writing paragraphs and essay writings.
- Acquire knowledge on English literature.
- Able to read short stories and critically analyse it.
- Able to write formal correspondents.
Module 2: Mathematics
It is based on mathematical problem solving. It involves concepts, skills, process, Metacognition and attitudes. Primary 5 maths divided into 3 branches -Numbers, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics.
- Able to acquire more knowledge on whole numbers, Fractions and rate.
- Develop understanding on Decimals, percentage and ratio.
- Acquire knowledge on Area of triangle, volume, angles and average.
Module 3: Science
It is based on knowledge, understanding and application; skills and process; ethics and attitudes.
Primary – 5 science involves- Read, interpret, concepts, highlight, elaborate and solve.
- Develop understanding on cell, plant, human and electrical system.
- Acquire knowledge on water cycle, plant and animal and reproductive system.
- Able to understand energy forms and uses.
- Able to acquire knowledge on natural disasters and safety measures.
Module 4: Chinese
This is an advanced Chinese course designed for Primary school 5th grade students who have grasped basic 2 knowledge. English and Chinese will both be used as the medium to conduct lessons and facilitate learning.
By the completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Conduct the appropriate conversation in learning environment and social activities.
- Improve the accuracy and fluency of their pronunciation and conversation.
- Pronounce the complex vowels: ai, ei, ui, ao, ou, iu accurately.
Module 5: Filipino
Knowledge acquisition of the language and develop further the language necessary for reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Listen to the learning materials in Filipino critically and carefully like songs, essays and poems
- Think and proposed titles relevant to what been listened to
- Discuss among the group about certain topic in Filipino that have listened to
- Understand the Filipino stories well and answer related question
- Recall and master lessons learned previously in Filipino
- Speak with the intention of applying the figures of speech learned in the subject like nouns (pangngalan); pronouns (panghalip); verb (pandiwa), adjective and adverb (pagabay)
- Talks while being observant of sentence used
- Express oneself politely and confidently in Filipino language
- Provide well thought answers to the questions taken from learning materials in Filipino like anecdote, biography, poems, discourse and paragraphs, journals
- Identify the cause and effect according to learning materials being read
- Critically evaluates the facts from opinions after reading the selection
- Create similar stories/original pieces with previous readings as materials
- Acquired skills important to create original pieces in Filipino like short poems, stories, biography, observations from surroundings and personal experiences, personal information, reaction paper
- Express one’s understanding on of learning materials in Filipino through writing, drawing or actions shown
- Jot down important notes from documentaries, talks and discussion
- Clearly and correctly write up sentences, paragraph and short stories
Module 6: Music
Covers the fundamental elements of Music such a pitch, timbre, volume, notes or musical notation; the use of each note as pitch in a master staff, application of rhythm or time, note intervals, key signature, music scales and chords.
- Determine visually the kinds of notes and rests in a song and sing correctly as well according to its nature
- Recognise rhythmic patterns using different notes and simple time signature
- Create different musical patterns with notes and rests following the time signatures such as 2/4, ¾, 4/4
- Responds correctly to music heard with appropriate actions based on the conductor’s gestures
- Distinguish pitch names on both G clef and F clef
- Identify and understand new musical concepts such as sharps, flat and natural; variations in dynamics such as piano, mezzo piano, forte, mezzo forte, crescendo and decrescendo; same with various tempo like largo, presto, allegro, modesto, andante, vivace, ritandanto, accelerando
- Read and sing notes in different musical scale
- Determine the different types vocal timbre (soprano, alto, tenor and bass)
- Join and participate in musical ensemble like choral or instrumental
- Cooperation and performs with effective listening skills and discipline
Module 7: Arts and Crafts
Entails to artistic expressions of one’s feelings and thoughts relevant to local and international celebrations valued by the school and community such as Chinese New Year, National Day, Christmas, Deepavali, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc. Likewise, creative means to communicate love and appreciation to significant others such as family members, friends and teachers, etc and to Mother Earth by promoting the use of recyclable materials aside from the usual and different art media commonly known and available:
- Appreciates Arts in Architectural designs
- Creates Murals and drawings of different types of houses and one’s ideal house
- Identify uses of the printed artwork
- Introduce carving and its process
- Applies knowledge of colours, shapes and balance in creating 3D Art craft
- Produce more Artworks from jars, old magazines such as paper beads for accessories like bracelets, necklaces and belts
Module 8: Social Studies
Social Studies will count all courses in Anthropology, Economics, Government, History, Geography and Sociology, as well as courses the General Education areas Ethical Reasoning, Societies of the World.
- Able to acquire knowledge on Wars took place in Asia.
- Able to acquire knowledge on famous personalities of the World.
- Develop knowledge on World geography.
- Develop knowledge about the economic condition of Asian countries.
Module 9: Physical Education
Focuses on the body and physical skills. It emphasises education in movement or the psychomotor domain. Enable students to demonstrate individually and with others the practices and values to enjoy a lifetime of active, healthy living.
- Maintain and reinforce the significance of physical fitness
- Recall games played previously and retrieve information such as its purpose and rules of games
- Experience more games for small and big groups to enhance social skills such as communication, teamwork, respect, and sportsmanship
- Emphasise the need for safety during lessons and activities
- Introduce dance
- Executed different skills involved in dance
- Perform simple to complex dance steps
- Encourage students’ confidence and appreciation of others’ ability to dance
Module 10: Values Education
Composes of social and experiential activities leading the students to reflect on proper care, on their love, respect and contribution to the development of self and others which include their classmates, friends, family members, neighbours, community and the world at large.
- Differentiate good behavior from its opposite and its effects to one self, peers, family members and others
- Appreciates more their studying and learning
- Realize the essence of cooperation for productivity
- Express confidently one’s thoughts and emotions
- Initiate and lead others to help those who are in need
- Participate in activities to strengthen skills and gain friendship regardless of cultural differences.
- Practise decision making for one’s safety
- Promote care and concern towards environmental cleanliness, unity, good health
Classroom learning, lessons to be conducted at Edvantage Institute (Singapore).
12 months, Full-Time.
All our teachers are registered with the Committee for Private Education (CPE).
Primary 4 or equivalent, 11 years and above.
Assessment and Examination
- Behaviour 15%
- Attendance 15%
- Seatworks/Quizzes 30%
- Graded Recitation 5%
- Graded Term Test 35%
The performance grading will be as follows:
|90 - 100
|75 - 89
|50 - 74
|0 - 49
Obtain a Pass in all Assessment Components.
Course Schedule and Fees
Details of course schedules and school fees can be found here.